Tuesday, August 31, 2010

GHAR = Go Hug A Realtor® (Part I)

I’m Susy Hurlbert, Director of Executive Services here at GHAR. Cool title, huh? Now I'm sure you’re wondering what that means, right? Well, in a nutshell, it means I have my hands in a lot of different areas at the association. I’m a jack of all trades, in a way. I am the staff liaison to GHAR’s Professional Standards, Grievance, Legal Awareness and West Region committees. In fact, there is so much to tell you about all of these areas that I have to split it into two blog entries! So keep an eye out for part II next month.

All of the areas mentioned earlier give me great insight to Realtors and here is what I’ve learned…. REALTORS® are a delightful, enterprising, creative, giving, smart bunch of professionals who like to have a pulse on their community. They have great sense of style, like to dress to impress, and love a good party. I’ve noticed that what drives a REALTOR® is a genuine desire to help their clients. REALTORS® are astute linguists, contracticians, mathematicians, and they expect and receive the very best from each other when it comes to professionalism.

Of course most of you reading this already know all that so here’s something you might not – let’s talk about me because I have the coolest job at GHAR! One of my favorite things to do is take Professional Standards phone calls. I get to hear a laundry list of all the unfortunate things that REALTORS® get accused of doing, such as:

  • Leaving a door open for the sellers cat to escape
  • Giving a key without permission so a buyer can start moving in before the closing date
  • Not presenting an offer that is too ridiculous to waste time on
  • Buyers who are mad that their deposits aren’t being returned right away
  • Clients who want to switch Realtors but don’t realize their contract is legal and binding or switched Realtor’s and now want to vilify them to justify ignoring their contractual obligations
Recently I’ve had a couple instances this year where the “letter” of the law has met the “spirit” of the law when grammatical mistakes in the MLS have given rise to ethics and/or arbitration complaints. In these lean times, be careful what you write especially when it comes to offers of compensation! If you have a question or aren’t sure if you are following the Code of Ethics, give me a call (860.561.1800). If you need the forms to file a complaint, click here. Want to brush up on the Code of Ethics, click here!
BTW, my Grievance Committee is just as enthusiastic as I am about this work, and I am always impressed by the professionalism of those who serve on Professional Standards, especially the Hearing Chairs who lead the process with fairness and skill as though they were born for the bench.

Stay tuned for part II to find out the rest of the fun I get to have everyday! Please let me know if you have questions or concerns – I’d love to hear from you! Until next time… Happy home sales!

4 comments:

  1. You did a really nice job with this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks teamprimary! I checked out your blog, and love the winning photo!

    So, you're a mover..... we must have commonalities that could result in a partnership of some kind..... like, our members client's moving needs and your services?

    Would you ever be interested in becoming an Affiliate member at GHAR or sponsoring one of our events like our Valentines fundraiser or Charity golf tournament? It's a great way to get to know Realtors and be on their mind when their clients need a mover..... just thinkin out loud!

    Have a great day,
    Susy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susy, Love the blog...just had an issue the other day with an agent who showed my listing to a family w/three children, they turned off the a/c and ate 1/2 piece of fruit and left it in the fruit bowl; there was a dog in a crate with a blanket over it so he wouldn't be scared and it was over 90 degrees out....when I called the agent she said, "I am not a baby sitter for my clients" and "I can't do my job and show a house if I am watching their kids", she didn't even realize their was a dog and it was in the comments for showdesk. She truly did not understand her role as a professional and her liability/responsibility for the home she was showing. Luckily the client returned home within a half hour after the showing. Who knows what would have happened to the dog in the heat if she didn't.
    So glad to read the blog, been meaning to call you. I am good friends with Phil Amato and he just gave me your contact information this week. If there are volunteer opportunities, I would love to volunteer for the grievance committee.
    I will contact you next week, looking forward to reading Part II. Have a great Holiday Weekend.
    Liz Scalise, Realtor(r)
    Realty 3 Carroll & Agostini
    scalise.liz@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz,

    Your story is a great example of distinguishing professionalism in the spirit of being a REALTOR®, a term according to the Code of Ethics preamble, that "has come to connote competency, fairness, and high integrity resulting from adherence to a lofty ideal of moral conduct in business relations".

    Per the Code of Ethics preamble, REALTORS® can take no safer guide than that which has been handed down through the centuries, embodied in the Golden Rule, “Whatsoever ye would that others should do to you, do ye even so to them.”

    Here's a link to NAR's website and more info on the history of the Code of Ethics: http://www.realtor.org/mempolweb.nsf/pages/code

    Anyway, keep an eye out for the 2011 Leadership Service Appointment Request Form in the October newsletter. Be sure and fill one out, and by all means call me with any questions (860-561-1800).

    We look forward to your volunteerism!

    ReplyDelete